How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35043
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my grandaughter aged 14years &11months has been off school

This answer was rated:

my grandaughter aged 14years &11months has been off school since november last with
anxiety problems,her mother suffers severe depression.Three weeks ago my grandaughter
asked if she could stay with us for a short period as she &her mother were costantly
bickering,& she thought that a time apart would be good for both of them.Two weeks later
mother loaded all of her possessions into the car and dumped the at the top of our road,
ringing us to tell us they were there.Mother now wants her back grandaughter does not
want to return.
Do we have enough grounds to obtain guardianship?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is there a local school that would take your grand daughter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes there is they would take her from 2ndjune.

Given that she is not in school are social services involved at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no.she is receiving one to one tuition three days per week arranged

by her school. she is receiving counselling organised by her school

Given her age your grand daughters wishes will be seen as being of great importance - and that coupled with the fact that she would be returning to school means that it is indeed likely that if you applied for an Order allowing her to live with you then you would be successful.
You should try and discuss matters with her mother using Family mediation ( and a Mediator trained to also work with young people.
If that fails then you can apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order - you will need the courts permission to apply but in the circumstances that will not be a problem.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you