How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi, I have been renting a house for the past 12 months (Broken

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have been renting a house for the past 12 months (Broken windows, rat infestation which was a problem before we move in which they knew about but did nothing broken washing machine) and I have two children under two month old , and have had problems with have work done that the agents have said from day one would be done. I have now with held the rent from them and they are now threatening to take legal action to reclaim money, can they do this or are they just trying to bully me?
Regard Bruce Theobald

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Have you contacted the agency regarding these issues please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes from the day we moved into the house and they have dragged their feet and use the reason that the owner lives away. they are now saying that I have broken contract but I'm sure they broke it first as they have done none of the work stated.


Is this an AST?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



Assured shorthold tenancy agreement ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it is sorry.



In that case, whether or not they will sue is another matter obviously but the threat they are making is not idle. You should not ever withhold rent during the course of an AST. The disrepair is not necessarily a good reason to do so unless, of course, you are actually paying to rectify the disrepair.

If you want the work done though then you can complain to the Environmental Health Department of the local council who would issue an improvement notice upon the landlord if the facts are as you say.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you