How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71134
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello, i have been recieving letters from a company about an

This answer was rated:

Hello, i have been recieving letters from a company about an over stay of time in an out of town shopping centre,the first letter had a view of the number plate but not the driver.There are cameras and one small sign only at the entrance which are hard to read because of the traffic going in.I am the owner of the vshicle but not the driver,they are coming after me, do i have any legal obligation to disclose who ths driver was or is it upto them to prove it,it is a private company not the council or police chasing me.
Steve Windsor

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Were you the driver?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no was not drive a company car


What was the date of issue please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the original letter arrived back in Feb this year


This is a private land fine. Under the new Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 you are liable as the registered keeper unless you disclose the identity of the driver within 28 days of the issue of the original PCN. Unfortunately you did not so identifying the driver now will not necessarily throw them off your scent I'm afraid.

That is not to say that you should necessarily pay though but just that its you that they will pursue.

You still have all of the usual challenges to private land fining.

Can i clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do I legally need to identify the driver?what are the challenges to private land fines please?

No, but if you don't within 28 days then they will pursue you as the registered keeper.

Why didn't your driver notice the signs ?

What is his account for this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the sign was rather small,it now stands at 140 pounds

They will only get the sum of the original fine plus £35 in costs and maybe fixed solicitors costs of £50 even if they do go to court. They won't get away with adding their debt collection costs.

if they do go to court then you could always ask them to prove that their signs were adequate.

Also, depending on what the signs say, you can ask them to prove the sum of their loss. Its quite unlikely they would sue anyway as its just plain not cost effective to do that for one ticket. What they will do is just send you threatening correspondence.

I'm happy to continue with this but please leave feedback for my answer.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile