I own a Historic Vehicle . A 1971 Series 2 Long Wheel Base

I own a 'Historic Vehicle' .
A 1971 Series 2 Long Wheel Base 109" Land Rover.
just discovered it to have a rotten chassis and intend changing it for a new galvanised one. So far no problem, but what other changes am I allowed to make without the vehicle losing its 'Historic' classification?
I would like to change to a diesel engine,eg.a Land Rover Discovery and its corresponding 5speed gearbox instead of the old 4speed non synchromesh type.
Your assistance would be appreciated

The engine and gearbox don't matter. It's the date the car was built that gives it historic status, ie, before 1 January 1974. Evidence is usually via the chassis number and you are replacing the chassis so I think you have to call DVLA for a ruling on this.

But if you already know this isn't a problem, I am able to answer your question which is that the proposed change of engine and gearbox will not make a difference to the status of the vehicle.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.