How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Plymouth City Council has given residents of the West Hoe area

This answer was rated:

Plymouth City Council has given residents of the West Hoe area only 2 weeks notice that all our access roads will be closed for a cycling event from 08:00 until 18:00 on 25 May. They are continually doing this in the summer for events on the West Hoe. It also completely closes access, not involving a long walk, to the Church which I serve as priest. (SS Demetrios and Nikitas Orthodox Community)

Does this amount to religious discrimination when the RC Cathedral and principal Anglican Church do not suffer in this way?
Is this racial discrimination because our community has many Eastern European families?
Where can I find the Law about road closures?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Are they closing the roads because of the church or because of the cycling event please?

Yes, but it also happens for many other events

Alex Watts : It's bad news.
Alex Watts : If they are closing it for a particular event then it's not discrimination.
Alex Watts : Discrimination is where they do it for the purpose of religion.
Alex Watts : So if they said for example, they are closing the road on a Sunday just because they don't want people to go to church, then it would be discrimination.
Alex Watts : But they are closing it for the cycling event, it just happens it coincides with the religions event.
Alex Watts : But if there is a legitimate aim, in this case the event, they can pursue the closure.
Alex Watts : you should contact the council legal department and raise a complaint or the Ombudman.
Alex Watts : They are independent and can examine your complaint for free.
Alex Watts : their website is
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help. Now can you point me to the Act of Parliament that controls road closures. I need to find out the extent to which access can be blocked to homes and businesses, as also how much notice must be given to people who will be affected.

This is governed by powers delegated to councils by central government. There won't be a single act of parliament but lots of different regulations etc.