How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

We rent a house from a private landlords that jointly own the

This answer was rated:

We rent a house from a private landlords that jointly own the house (Mr. X and Mr. Y).
We have never had any dealings with Y as he lives abroad, so X is the one who has been around. When we moved in we were given a one year tenancy and told by Y this would be renewed each year. We have two young children and checked with him, and the letting agency,that the house was long term available, as we were planning on staying for at least 7 years, while the boys were at school. X assured us that the house was his pension and they had no plans to sell and the last tenants had lived here for 6 years, so all was well. He said we could treat the house as our home, and do what we liked to it, as long as we didn't knock down any walls.
So, we got all new curtains as light was preventing sleep in all the bedrooms, we replaced the stair carpet, as it was very worn (we asked X to replace it, but he offered just to pay half, which we did). Outside we put a large storage shed in the garden, and landscaped the area at the side of the house (which was basically a mudbath when it rained). Laying a gravelled area, a raised flower bed, and bin bays for the refuse bins. We also just had the very large tress in the garden bollarded to let in light, as last summer the garden was very dark, so we wanted to enjoy the sun a bit more this year. For the past two months, we have received letters from a solicitor informing us that Y was being taken to court for non payment of the mortgage, and the house was likely to be repossessed. Eventually X informed us that Y had sold his part of the house to Mr. Z, and we received a solicitors letter from him telling us this was the case and we should now pay the rent to him, which we have done for the past two months.
Now Z has written to us, informing us that he will move into the house and we must move out. He's given us only 6 weeks notice, as our contract ends on June 10th and that;s when he say we should move. Our contract says we should have two months notice, but our contract isn't with him anyway. Where do we stand on this? We need more time to find a house. Also, we feel that X should compensate us in some way for the money (approx. £2,500) we've spent improving the property as we thought we were making these improvements for ourselves, at least for us to enjoy for a while, as we were told this was our home for the foreseeable future. Obviously we wouldn't have done any of the things we've done in the past year if we thought the house was short term. X has agreed, but has only offered us one weeks rent as compensation (£510), we don't think this is enough. Where do we stand on this issue also?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : What type of tenancy agreement did you have please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
The only answer I received was the expert Alex, said she was a busy solicitor and would answer me as soon as she had time.That was 3 days ago and I need an answer now. I do not want this expert, I don't want to pay her, so I would prefer another expert.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The only answer I received from this expert was that she is a busy solicitor and cannot answer the question right now, she'll get to me when she can. That was two days ago and that is not an answer. If she is so busy, then she should not accept questions.

Hello, I am a lawyer with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this. Can you tell me what type of tenancy you have, when it started and how long the tenancy was for. It sounds like Mr X made some non specific comments but no solid representations about how long you can stay. Is that right?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The contract is an assured shorthold and was made initially on june 10th 2012 and renewed last year on 10th june 2013. Yes, X assured us it would be for as long as we like, this is why we made the changes we did. We realise we have to move out, but we feel some recompense is only fair and also we have a house to move to, but it's not ready until 12th July, so we don't want to move until then.

Assuming yours was a 12 month tenancy then your understanding of the notice requirements is right. Your landlord must give you 2 months notice ending on a date not before the end of the tenancy. I think you might have an argument to say that your agreement with X is still valid and that Z has no right to terminate it. It seems that X still owns half the property. There are problems with this argument but it has some merit. What is X's position on this as he is the person your contract is with? I think you have no right per se to compensation for the improvements you have made Anything which is not attached to/part of house you can take with you (eg the curtains). However, you are in a position to credibly threaten to make life difficult for Z if he wants possession of the property and this may enable you to negotiate some compensation.
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience: Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
LondonlawyerJ and other Law Specialists are ready to help you