How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12082
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My grandchildren were abused by their foster carers the carers

Customer Question

My grandchildren were abused by their foster carers the carers were charged the fiscal has now diverted their case to social work what can we do to get justice and ensure these carers never look after any other children
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

This question has been marked England and Wales but you mention the procurator fiscal. Is this a Scottish matter? If so I am a Scots lawyer and could help you with this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes this is a Scottish case
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Carers were charged over a year ago with ill treatment and sexual abuse of my four young grandchildren I was consistently expressing my concerns to social work regarding the signs which were evident of the poor care they were receiving it was only when they disclosed to an advocacy worker that they were being ill treated was this reported to police the children were returned to their mum where they are happily thriving however after returning they disclosed sexual abuse we have been waiting for a year for these carers to be prosecuted but only last week we were only by chance told by the fiscal office that despite having enough evidence to prosecute the fiscal had diverted the case to social work I am waiting to be sent the reasons for this decision but how can this be justice? I have my msp involved but what do I do can I go public?
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
I am very surprised that the procurator fiscal has decided to go down this route. You should ask for a meeting with the fiscal and express your concerns and advise that you will go to the press if satisfactory steps at not taken.

The prosecutor has to act in the public interest and I don't think a diversion from prosecution is appropriate here. You need to find out why they think it is.

Happy to discuss further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have spoken to the fiscals office today. I am hopeful that I will get some answers in the next few days as someone is going to get back to me. The local social work department don't seem to know what has happened to this couple nobody knows where they have been diverted to, would they be required do you think to be informed of the outcome of this case it seems to be very cloak and dagger.

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
The social work department can be a law into themselves. I advise that you continue to liaise with the procurator fiscal's office and get answers from there.