How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32177
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

We purchased a Grade II listed terraced 500-year old 2-bedroom

Customer Question

We purchased a Grade II listed terraced 500-year old 2-bedroom cottage in a conservation area 11 years ago. The attic room had been converted into a living space (lights, flooring, plaster between the beams, radiator etc.) by a previous owner at some point in time. There is a small dormer window to the loft though we have no way of knowing if this was original or not. The sale of this property has now stalled as the purchasers solicitor is insisting we need to produce proof of planning permission consent and building regs certificate for the loft conversion. We doubt pp was ever sought. If we have to retrospectively obtain pp from the local council (£660 for a certificate) and have to pay for any remedial works/returning the loft room to bare beams (which would mean losing up to one-third of the value of the house), do we have any redress from the solicitor we used for the conveyancing when we bought this property who missed this issue?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Have the Council intimated that they could possibly bring enforcement proceedings or is it something that you anticipate or a particularly worried about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have not yet contacted Suffolk Coastal Council though it is possible they may bring enforcement proceedings.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Why do you think that please?