How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12188
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I was asked several years ago to be an executor to a will,

This answer was rated:

I was asked several years ago to be an executor to a will, which I agreed to. My dear friend who asked this of me has since lost her husband, he did not have a will. the family have taken over the care of said lady and completely shut me out. My question is would they be able to change her will, she has dementia
Thank you for your question.

No, they can't change her will. When she dies, you will have the power to enter into possession of and administer her executry estate. Until then you have no powers I'm afraid.

Happy to discuss further.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

her husband died several weeks ago without writing a will, do all of his assets go to her automatically?


If there are no children, yes. If there are children then the spouse and children inherit together. The wife gets the first £250000 of the estate and if there is more than this a life interest in half of the remainder.

Here is a summary of the rules for you:
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you