How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

In Nov 2013 we paid a company called Mark Two Ltd, trading

This answer was rated:

In Nov 2013 we paid a company called Mark Two Ltd, trading under the name Tesco Finest Bathrooms, a premium price for an expected expert service converting our sole small bathroom into a wet room. The company appointed an unskilled and unsupervised fitter who took twice the estimated time to fail the task. We documented over 20 problems with his work, some very serious, and the company agreed to completely redo the wet-room using a second fitter. This also wasn't successful and within two weeks tiles were moving/lifting from the floor and we discovered water had soaked through to wood underneath, despite company saying they had tanked it sufficiently (something we challenged early on in the project). They say they will fix this (completely redo the floor again), but still send no one to establish the cause (bad workmanship? bad products?) and all we have is the conflicting opinions of the second, and a third, fitter. As it stands, we do not have a functioning wet room and the best the company can offer is that a third fitter will "hopefully" do the remedial work weekend of the 24th May. We find it hard to believe them. And we notice other problems which they've yet to acknowledge let alone investigate.

Our feeling now is we have given them enough time and opportunities to provide what we paid for; 6 months is a long way beyond a reasonable time; care and skill has been lacking, service is worse than the end product; compared to other quotes we got this company were the most expensive and we believed their website and sales blurb and the Tesco name. Do we have a chance of claiming a complete breach of contract and a full refund so we can pay someone else to do it properly?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : How did you pay for their service please?
Customer: hello thank for reply. my name is XXXXX XXXXX is Sue.
Customer: we paid in full before work started by debit card using their payment portal
Customer: correction, debit card over the phone
Alex Watts : Have yo had a surveyor out yet to assess what is wrong please?
Customer: no
Alex Watts : Ok. Do you know the cost of getting it put right with someone else?
Customer: not yet, we are looking for quotes.
Customer: am also now looking for a surveyor
Alex Watts : Ok. You need to get a number of quotes to get the work finished. This forms your loss
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request they do the work properly or pay you the cost of getting it done right within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : Remember you are seeking to claim the additional cost of getting the work done, ie the difference between what it would have cost and what it actually cost.
Alex Watts : Further, if you get a surveyors report you can use this in court.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: No that is fine for now. thank you.
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.


Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

Alex Watts :

Please remember to leave feedback before you leave today

Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you