How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35049
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son is divorcing his wife, they own a property which is

This answer was rated:

My son is divorcing his wife, they own a property which is in negative equity, at the moment it is rented out. The tenants are moving out in a months time, my son found some prospective tenants but the occupents wouldn`t allow them to view on instructions from his estranged wife. Unfortunately my son doesn`t have a key. He pays the mortgage, what can he do?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Whose name is XXXXX XXXXX tenancy agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


The property is worth £130.000

the amount outstanding is £156.000

Tenants named and signed contract


Look forward to your reply

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have sent you my reply but have heard nothing - beginning to think

I have wasted £40!!

My apologies for the delay I was in meetings all afternoon
Also my apologies I meant are both your son and his ex named on the tenancy agreement - and as an extra does the agreement provide for new tenants to be shown around?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you - been waiting for information from my son. The answer to your question is yes the agreement does provide for new tenants to be shown around.


Look for ward to your advice.

Then he should write a polite letter to the tenants giving the appropriate notice - and t saying that he will attend with a locksmith if necessary and the cost will be deducted from their deposit.
Hw may wish to point out that he IS one of the landlords and that his request is in accord with the terms of their lease
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you