How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35051
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

3 years ago I went through divorce proceedings. The deal was

This answer was rated:

3 years ago I went through divorce proceedings. The deal was I kept my pension of around £80K in return she got 65% of equity post house sale based on her looking after the children We are both aged 50

While most paperwork has been completed she never filled in the "Statement of information for a consent order" and thus this order was never signed as I couldn't sign to agree that the information provided was correct as there wasn't any

She and our two children aged remained in the family home but through inertia on her part this situation remained in place with her paying £500 toward rent - I continued to pay approx. £900 pcm in house bills.

2 years ago the decree absolute came through By now her boyfriend had moved in permanently

Our children are now 18 and 20 with one on the last year of uni and the other about to start.

My question - Is it still realistic for my ex-wife to expect such a large percentage given circumstances have changed? The recent house sale has generated approx. £130K

I think 60 / 40 or better is more realistic

Thank you
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
I am a little unclear about who has lived where until now?
Has she remarried?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She continued to live at the property with our two children until 7th May this year when the house sold and monies transferred to the conveying solicitor who has now paid all legal and estate agent fees.


Her boyfriend moved in 2 years ago.


She paid £500 to me. I paid all mortgages, insurance utilities Council tax etc but not food.


I moved out 2 years ago and am living with my girlfriend

Are you now willing to share your pension?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not really also I don't think my ex wife would be interested

If your Pension is to remain untouched then yes it is reasonable for your ex to still seek the larger share of the equity and if the matter goes to court it is still likely that this is the Order that will be made
I am sorry not to give you better news - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.i had thought this the case but wanted the reassurance of an independent and qualified opinion

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well