How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10953
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

my dad lived with a woman for 40 years he has now died they

Customer Question

my dad lived with a woman for 40 years he has now died they bought a property together but in her name she is in hospital and will probably never return home am i entitled to anything
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. I regret to say that you only have rights in relation to your Dad's estate. This comprises only the assets he owned. If a property was bought in the name of the woman with whom your father lived, then that is hers. As son of her former partner, you have no rights in relation to her assets. So I regret to say that even though your father might or did contribute to the buying of this assets in the name of this woman he was with, you have no rights in relation to it. You can only claim a share in your father's own assets at the date of death.

JACUSTOMER-lz8hhoj5- :

i am sorry am i entitled to collect my fathers possessions from the flat i have evidence of them living together and my dad had no bank account and had his money paid in to the womans account they also ran a buisness together in the eighties which funded the sale of the property and my dad was her carer

Buachaill :