How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

Hi. I recently divorced and in order for my wifes solicitor

Customer Question

Hi. I recently divorced and in order for my wife's solicitor to authorise transfer of funds owed to me (my wife is keeping the house and paying me half its value, per the agreed financial order), they need me to prove my identity by presenting photo id such as passport, and a recent utility bill. I do not wish to visit them as I now live elsewhere, and also for personal reasons. Can I get a local London solicitor to provide this service in isolation, and how much would that cost, roughly? Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and I will assist you.

What you need to do is ask the solicitor whether they will accept a certified copy of your passport and utility bill.

If they say yes then you can go to a local solicitor and have your documents copied and certified by the solicitor. This normally costs £5-£10 per document. (If the solicitor is nice enough they might do it for free).

You can then send the certified documents to your wife's solicitor and this should be sufficient for them to release the funds.

Can I assist any further?

Kind regards