How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tdlawyer Your Own Question
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1096
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
Type Your Law Question Here...
tdlawyer is online now

I have a tenants deposit secured with mydeposits for £1050.

Customer Question

I have a tenants deposit secured with mydeposits for £1050. The tenant moved out and has left me with £933 in unpaid utility bills (Heating is via an oil tank full at start and nearly empty at end with remaining oil being repossessed by oil company leaving it empty + electricity & sewage tank emptying costs all of which were in tenancy agreement). I have evidence in email & texts where the tenants asks me to deduct the bills from the deposit. The tenant with no communication or forewarning has lodged a dispute with mydeposits regarding the non return of the deposit. Mydeposits are insisting that I lodge the entire £1050 with them during the dispute. Obviously the £933 has been used to pay outstanding bills. Do I still need to send the whole £1050 even though the deposit has been used at the request of the tenant? I have all supporting evidence to support my case. I also have some damage to claim on top of the £933 and additional rent of £225 as the tenant did not move their things out.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hi, thanks for your question.

tdlawyer :

My name is Tony, I can assist with this.

tdlawyer :

If the tenant has given you permission in writing to use the deposit money to pay the bills then no, you wouldn't have to lodge the entire deposit.