How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Ten years ago my father left a property to my twin brother

Customer Question

Ten years ago my father left a property to my twin brother and myself. As he was renting with his partner, they moved into the property and paid me a monthly rental with the understanding that when her parents died and she inherited a substantial amount, she would buy me out and then jointly own the property with my brother . Unfortunately 41/2 years she died. I reduced the amount my brother paid me as he was alone, but informed him that I wanted my equity out of the property by the time I received my old age pension in nov 2015. He has another partner for the past year who stays there some of the time. I reminded him of our agreement about me receiving my equity as previously agreed by either one of them or both of them raising the money. Unfortunately he has turned nasty and says that I cannot make him sell. Please can you give me some advice on how I need to proceed and of course whether he has a right to stay. His equity would be enough for him to buy a smaller property, so although he states he would be homeless he would not. We are both 61 years of age and he is in employment
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law