How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Solicitor JA only. If a British woman marries an Egyptian

This answer was rated:

Solicitor JA only. If a British woman marries an Egyptian man what rights does he have over her money and Estates. Can you get a pre nuptial agreement?
Hello again,

If thye couple live in England, English law stipulates that the marital property is shared equally between the spouses in the case of divorce, and the normal staerting point is 50/50, althought he courts have wide discretion in deciding how to split up the assets.

A pre nuptial agreement may be entered into and it is persuasive but not binding on the courts, if the couple know what they are signing up to and get independent legal advice, the agreement will be more likely to be upheld in court.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you as the above is not entirely correct
The family court does indeed have a wide power to decide how assets should be divided in the event of a divorce - but that is based on a number of factors one of the most important being the length of the marriage.
It is only in the event of a long marriage , or one where there are children, that a 50/50 division of the assets is likely
With a short marriage (under two years) the aim is to put both parties back to the financial position they were in at the start of the marriage and then divide any excess between them.
The only possible problem in this case is if the husband moves to England in which case he could claim a lump sum to help him either return home or set up a new home in the UK.
After two years then the main issue would be his needs - and if the marriage is longer than 15 years then 50/50 is a very likely outcome
With regard to a pre nuptial agreement in order for it to have any validity they MUST have taken independent advice and it needs to be signed at least 28 days prior to the marriage and there must have been full financial disclosure
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks the information is sufficient at the moment, Many thanks.