tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.

My car insurance was cancelled by asda because I failed to

My car insurance was cancelled by asda because I failed to send a photo copy of my photo card licence. No notification of the cancellation was received by me either electronically or normal post. The policy was cancelled 6 months into the policy and the certificate of insurance was not requested to be returned. The monthly payments continued to be deducted. I was pulled over by the police and the car was impounded. The ombudsman was contacted and after consulting asda said that they said the email was sent but they cannot prove it was sent. Similarly I can't prove it was not received. I am facing a £300 fine and 6 points which I feel I do not deserve. Is there any point contesting the conviction

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

This sound unfair on you. They cannot continue to take the payments whilst saying that there is no cover in place.

tdlawyer :

You will only be convicted if there was no insurance in place, and it seems to me you have good arguments to say that whilst they continued to take payments, there was in fact insurance in place.

tdlawyer :

I would suggest (if you haven't already) you challenge the insurance company in writing and ask for their final decision immediately.

tdlawyer :

Insofar as the road traffic offence side is concerned, you should persist that you do have insurance and that the insurance company is wrong.

I have had a phone conversation with the insurer and they said it was my responsibility to make sure the insurance is in order and offered a refund of 2 months premiums. I read on a website that the insurance company must inform in writing if they cancel your policy. Does that mean normal post or will email do.

Can you see the answer above?
Post or email would do - probably either - it will say in the policy terms and conditions what form they can or should use.

But, the offer to refund the premiums is to miss the point. They took them. They took them because there was a policy in place.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your conversation. Very helpful.

Are you happy with the service received?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.