How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I got evicted last year due to council rent arrears with my

Customer Question

I got evicted last year due to council rent arrears with my fifteen year old daughter. The went through the right channels but I was too terrified to do anything about it. I moved in with my dad who I had not seen fifthteen years who took us in, and I became his carer. Unbeknown to me he lost 80% of his property to his ex wife. she wants us out due to a court order 17 years ago stipulating that he must live alone and if due to ill health he moves out then after 4 months (he moved to sheltered accommodation) the house has to go on the market and that we are illegally squatting - we have to move out. I have got a job in the last few months but it is minimum wage so I cannot move out quickly, and have nowhere to go with my child, my daughter will be 16 on 28th June 2014. she also recently got accepted to drama school. what can I do as we will effectively be out on the street.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Have you applied to the Council homeless department please?
JACUSTOMER-wckxer3f- :


Alex Watts : And what have they said?
JACUSTOMER-wckxer3f- :

that I need to have a notice to vacate the property before they will help me. But as I am not the licensee I am not entitled to have one as I am supposedly illegally squatting. so I could end up on the street. went to the council today. social services won't help as my child is sixteen on 28th june

Alex Watts :

Well they need to serve notice in order for you to move out

Alex Watts :

If you refuse to move they can't just change the locks - they need a Court Order.

Alex Watts :

Therefore you should sit tight and wait until you get a Court order.

Alex Watts :

You can't be evicted without one

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: