How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I insured my ring for £8471 and paid extra each month I lost

Customer Question

I insured my ring for £8471 and paid extra each month I lost it and now my insurance say it will only pay out £5000 as a replacement would be no good to me as I have to wear it round my neck as my hands swell up and my insurance says I have to wear it at all times
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Why won't they pay the full amount? Was there a maximum claim limit please?
JACUSTOMER-x0zte2mm- :

they have said they will only offer £5000 for a cash settlement I insured the ring specific for £8471 and they stated I had to wear it at all times

JACUSTOMER-x0zte2mm- :

my ring was insured for 8471 and had email to confirm that it could be replaced for that amount including the discount they would get but replacement is no good to me as my hands swell and I would be forced to wear it round my neck as the policy states must be worn at all times. They will only offer 5000 which I have refused.

Alex Watts :

You need to write a formal complaint and set out your position. The insurers will then investigate the matter and report back.

Alex Watts :

Once you have their final response you can then go to the Ombudsman if you wish

Alex Watts :

The Ombudsman is free, independent and can examine your complaint for you.

Alex Watts :

Their website is:

Alex Watts :

This may resolve your complaint.

Alex Watts :

If it does not then you should write to the insurers and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.


Alex Watts :

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.


The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.


If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.


Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?