How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

Hi, I have been coming into the UK to see my Fiancé who is

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have been coming into the UK to see my Fiancé who is living here on a two year working visa youth Mobility scheme. I work on a boat at the moment and i have two months leave time so i have been spending majority of that leave time in the UK with my Fiancé. I recently just arrived in the UK again to spend some time here on leave but i had a little bit of difficulty this time as the immigration officer suspects i am living here, which is not happening at all i always have a flight leaving the UK and i have letters and Documentation from the boat that i work on. Is there anything more that i could do to be able to gain entry? as my next leave will be in november so i will come here for two weeks then flying out for five weeks returning for one week then flying out again.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.

If you have shown that you have no intention of residing in the UK and have provided evidence that you are on annual leave each time upon your visit to the UK then I do not believe they is more you can do at the port of entry.

The fact is that the immigration of officer will always be suspect of you overstaying simply because there have been many cases where people have entered the UK on a visit visa but have not left the UK even when they have shown a return ticket.

In your case all you can do is continue showing them evidence of you being employed with the boat company and a letter confirming that you are on annual leave an when your annual leave ends, this would be the most you can do. If they do question you at the border then you should point to them that you have entered the UK on previous accessions before and always abide by the immigration rules.

It is only due to the frequency of the visits that the immigration officers get suspect, provided that you do not spend more than 6 months in the UK in total then it should not be a problem.

I hope this answers your question. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your information. However the 6 months, does that apply in a year or two or what is the duration? I.e. As long as I don't spend a total of more then 6 months in the UK in a year or 6 months in two years or 6 months from my first entry into the UK.


Many thanks,

Thank you for your reply.

It is total of 6 months in a year, however, if your visits are frequent then the home office do get suspicious because they want to know why you are visiting the UK so much.

What you need to do is convince them that you are restricted by your annual leave and when you get your holidays you come to meet your fiancee, this would be the best way to obtain entry to the UK.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you