How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am 80 years old and disabled. I employed a carer during which

This answer was rated:

I am 80 years old and disabled. I employed a carer during which time she stole 20,000
pounds worth of jewellery from me, she obtained £1000. by selling the jewellery as scrap.
she was caught by the police and served 6 weeks in jail. My jewellry was insured but the
insurance did not cover the value of my jewellery and I also had to pay 1000 pounds to the insurance because she carried out theft 15 times incurring for me 15 times 50.00
This theft cost me eight and a half thousand pound loss plus loss of special family jewellery
covering a period of 300 years plus many months of heartache and stress. am I able to take out a court writ to retrieve my losses. regards XXXXX XXXXX is something I just cant get over and is causing me more ill health.

Alex Hughes :

My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

I'm sorry to hear of the loss you have incurred - but what would you like to know from me please?


can I retrieve the loss of finance from the carer who stole my jewellery she got £1000.00 scrap value which the jewellery was not scrap with the money and help from her employers who she stole from


she went on a cruise .


I lost £1000 pounds because I was underinsured as the jewellery was worth at least £20.000as they were 300 years old from my family. my grandmother inherited from her mother and brother, my mother inherited from her mother and I inherited on the death of my nmother.

Alex Hughes :

Yes you can certainly sue the carer for stealing your property. Even though she has been [rosecuted and punished for her crimes you have a right in civil law to be compensated. But you have to bear a couple of things in mind which are a) the cost of pursuing a claim (you might be throwing good money after bad) and b) whether she has the ability to pay you.


alex hughes has not answered any questions I put to him, and has obviously not read my questions, because my message indicates that I want advice on the route to go down to retrieve my money from this woman. this woman has not suffered like I have because of her actions. and the law has not dealt with her as she went to prison in January and was out of jail by february. Is this what the courts call justice. a few weeks confindfor turning an aged womans life upside down. Under the circumstance


Can I issue her with a county court order and go down the route of getting judgement and the issuing of a writ. I dont feel justice has been done.and am very bitter I dont sleep well at night since it happened and I break my heart every day because every piece of jewellery I had had a story attached to it which reminded me of my family and this jewellery was suppose to be for my children together with the memories. I can see now that he has given me some advice so I apologise for my remarks, but nowone knows how I really feel. this was my family history she destroyed and for what

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Over £10,000 you will need representation for the trial as this is a matter which can be complex and Court Rules.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you