How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71129
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I stopped on a motorcycle bay for less than a minute in Tower

Customer Question

I stopped on a motorcycle bay for less than a minute in Tower hamlets on 20/07/2013. I was sent a notice and I appealed, this was refused, and wrongly on my part I have ignored further demands. I now have a letter from Newlyn Plc saying they will return to remove goods if I don't contact them and pay £512. I find this so unjust. I am a 70 yr old disabled pensioner with a heart problem and the stress is killing me. Please help
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not in agreement with the tactics used to place me in this situation is there any way I can get this set aside at this late stage.


What information do you need?


Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
I need to know what your question about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can I get this demand withdrawn and prevent them taking my property

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Sorry if I'm missing the point but on what basis are you hoping to do that?

You seem to accept ignoring their correspondence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is not working for me as I think you are missing the point. Is it possible to explain on the phone.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
I'm afraid all communications have to be online.

Is the point you are hoping to rely on that the fine was originally issued incorrectly? If so, its bad news.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

incorrectly, unfairly, unjustly, and without considering that I was there for less than a minute, barely time to read the sign. I must have been photographed the instant I arrived.


Is there any way I can appeal at this stage

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Well, that is probably right. However, the plain fact is that you didn't appeal beyond the first which was rejected. There is an appeal's process that must be used.

At this stage, if its gone to bailiffs, then there will be a warrant against you at Northampton that can no longer be appealed.

All that can be done now is that a statutory declaration could be made but to do that you would need to be able to truthfully say that you didn't receive various items and you accept that you did and you just ignored it.

I'm really sorry but if you ignore council issue parking fines then they go to bailiffs.

The only thing that you can do at this stage is review the sum of the bailiffs fees but if this is a council issue parking fine then £500 ish is probably about right depending on the work that they have done.

I'm very sorry and I wish I could say something else but I have to tell you the truth.

This is no longer an issue of the fairness of the fine. Its about whether the appeals procedure was used and it was not.

Can I clarify anything for you?