How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Dear Sir/Madam I have a second home that I wish to sell

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam

I have a second home that I wish to sell in order to purchase a more expensive property. Unfortunately I have owned this for about 2.5 years and now realise that I should have nominated it as my main residence. The property has risen in value by around £300,000. Is there anyway around this problem? I am a higher rate tax payer.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Hello,The 2 year clock starts ticking from the time you started residing in the second property, not from the time you bought it, so,if you started residing in it less than 2 years ago, you may still get away with electing it as your main residence now before selling it.The other option is to purchase or rent a third property for you to reside in, make the election before selling off your second property.This information may help I help further?