How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

Hi I got in a situation where someone hit their wife and then

Customer Question

I got in a situation where someone hit their wife and then came at me so I hit them. The police came and went then he moved at me again and I hit him, unfortunately on camera but it was clear he went for me first.

So I went to court and there was no trial but I was not found guilty or innocent.

At the time I was happy to walk away given my past but am now wondering how I get rid of this?

The couple have left the country as for as I have heard

Please help with this
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello. I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

If you were found not guilty I am not sure what you need to get rid of. Please tell me how I can help.

JACUSTOMER-wokq0bny- : Hi
JACUSTOMER-wokq0bny- : I was not found either guilty or not guilty...but I cannot remember what they called it. The charges were not dropped though, there was just no judgement???
JACUSTOMER-wokq0bny- : Thanks
LondonlawyerJ :

When did this happen and were you represented by a solicitor?

LondonlawyerJ :

When a case ends without a trial and without an admission of guilt what has usually happened is that the prosecution have decided not to proceed. In this situation either a case is discharged and a not guilty verdict is entered or the case is left to lie on the file. If it is the latter then the prosecution could be re-opened but only with the permission of the hIgh Court. It is very very unusual for cases which have been left to lie on the file to be re-opened.

LondonlawyerJ :

Occasionally cases will be stayed (eg if there has been an abuse of process by the prosecution) but this unusual and the effect is to put the prosection into a state of permanent limbo.

LondonlawyerJ :

The likelihood is that there is no outstanding case and obviously no criminal record from it so probably nothing to get rid of.