Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Hi I was charged with drink driving yesterday, as my breath

Hi I was charged with drink driving yesterday, as my breath test was 41 I am awaiting blood test results. I saw they spelt my surname wrongly on the blood test samples, would this kind of technicality help in any way if I came back over the limit? Thanks

Alex Hughes :

My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

What was wrong about the spelling?

Customer: They spelt the surname eyre not ayre
Alex Hughes :

This won't make a difference I'm afraid. Firstly they will produce the custody record and doctors certificate to say the sample was taken from you. Second the blood sample will be sealed with a unique serial code linked to you and your custody record. Thirdly the error is so minor that a court would not enterain an application to dismiss on the basis of one letter being incorrect. I'm sorry but such minor technicalities are no longer tolerated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thanks for your reply, realise I was clutching at straws a little, but as you mention the custody record my name was misspelt the same on everything

If the issue is raised the police will produce your photograph and fingerprint which would have been taken following your arrest and detention at the police station.