Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm

how long does it take when you get notice of a prosecution

how long does it take when you get notice of a prosecution from environmental health to go to court?

Alex Hughes :

My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

Could you explain the situation in more detail please?

Yes. I own a small café and the environmental health officer found some food that was frozen by me when I bought t and had now gone past the use by date. Altho this is legal for you to do at home it is apparently illegal for a café owner to do. There was a big case called Torfaen council v willis about this that went all the way to the supreme court. Anyway the env health people are considering prosecution againt me but they say decision process counld take 6 months

A decision to prosecute can often take many weeks. The usual time limit for straightforward cases is 6 months from the date of offence. You or your representative can contact the environmental health team to see what they intend to do although sometimes its better to leave them well alone in the hope they miss the time limit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but how long does it take if they decide to prosecute ie from the date of the intended prosecution for it to get to court?

That depends on court availability.

In my area the usual time frame is 4 - 6 weeks from the date the complaint is lodged with the Magistrates Court.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have I got a defence re the Torfaen council versus Willis final outcome?

I have no idea. To carry out an assessment of your case would require more time and information. I would also have to look at the judgment in that case. Unfortunately the price that you've paid will not cover this additional work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how much would you want in terms of payment to do this please?

You should rate the current answer and then post an additional question. Its up to you how much you wish to offer for payment - I cannot discuss that with you. But if you do post an additional question then please mark for the 'attention of alex hughes' and I will deal with it personally.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just tried to do this but it came up with a guy called dimitri and I want you?? what if I pay 30?

Hi Kevin

I am following up our conversation to see how you got on with the issue. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

alex - I would like you to review the case Torfaen v willis and see if I have a defence? ie the last time the lady came in 2013 from the eho she said ok to freeze if it says u can . then the Torfaen case and then she revisits in april this year and confiscates the frozen food that she said was ok to freeze in 2013??

Yes, I'm happy to do that but you will have to post a separate question. In light of the amount of time involved I would be happy to do this for $55 which, if acceptable to you, should be the value of the question that you post. Many thanks.