How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi I live in a retirement housing although am under 60 and

This answer was rated:

Hi I live in a retirement housing although am under 60 and still work. I have a resident neighbour who constantly watches what I do, listens to conversations and has made up things about me and passed the information around the community. I am at the stage when I feel that I cannot leave my flat at times when I may meet others, shouldn't talk to anyone in case she is hiding and listening and am even going to have to arrange deliveries to an alternative address as they are now monitored. The information is then pased on to an ex tenant and past friend of mine. What can I do about the woman?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How does she come to listen to your conversations without you knowing she is there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She listens from her window above the communal garden and just 'appears' from goodness knows where

What type of things has she made up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That I have had sex/affairs with male residents here. She also passes on information of my movements to a third party

There is no specific offence in watching you or listening to your conversations. The closest that could exist is harassment but there is specific case law that says that watching alone is not sufficient.

The fact of making up false information about you is capable of amounting to harassment. The practical reality is that the police would probably not get involved and if they do all they would do is give her a harassment warning. Its not really suitable for a harassment warning because the issue isnt that she is contacting you but that she is contacting others who then contact you.

You could sue in civil harassment. There is expense in that although not enormously.

You could also sue in defamation, That is a very expensive action though and you cannot hide from that. The goal is usually to get an injunction not to repeat specific slanders which doesn't stop her making up new ones. That is why harassment may be more appropriate.

Can i clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help. No there is no need for clarification. Seems I am stuck with problem until I can transfer to another place

No problem and all the best.

You could try a report to the police.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you