How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

"Hi I am paying rent and deposit but the owners will not give

This answer was rated:

"Hi I am paying rent and deposit but the owners will not give me a contract, I have asked them many times and they do not provide it, they just ask for Valid photo Id and never bring the contact round. What can i do?"
Paying rent late but they come asking for it constantly, I dont even know if they r the rightful owner because at first we gave money to a diferent person. there is 4 houses along eachother with same issue. There is about 8 to 14 in each house.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : How long have you been renting for? I assume its a private dwelling?

2 months now, they are private owners.

Alex Watts : Ok. Why did you move in without a contract please?

i had no where to go or put my things? I didnt think it would be like this at all. today i wrote to them and he still saying he is going to bring it put i have to pay rent, that its ilegal for me to live here and not pay them. They gave my friend who has just moved in a contract but a dodgy one with no info of the owner just her name like a downloaded version of the internet.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and ask for an agreement or say you will go to Court.

Alex Watts :

If they refuse then you can complete form N208

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

The court will list the matter for a hearing and consider whether to make the landlord give you an agreement.

Alex Watts :

But fill out the above forms - this is what you need to do

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


so there are fees for this?

Alex Watts : To issue a claim yes there is. But if you win then you can claim those fees back.
Alex Watts : Does that clarify?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.


Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:


what about if you do not have the money for these fees?

Alex Watts : You may be able to get fee remission depending on your circumstances.
Alex Watts : If I could invite you to rate my answer today, thank you.
Ash and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you