How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I was born in Palestine of British parents during the British

This answer was rated:

I was born in Palestine of British parents during the British Mandate there in 1943. My birth was registered with the civil authority of the time. My birth certificate was lost along with my passport back in 1983. As I already had had a passport I didn't need a birth certificate to get a new one. Nor have I needed a birth certificate as my passport had been deemed good enough for identification purposes. I now want to emigrate to Canada where they insist they need to see my birth certificate. My birth is not registered her in the UK. According to the authorities here the repository of birth certificates etc in Palestine was burnt down in 1948 during the Arab/Israeli conflict. The Canadian authorities will accept a sworn affidavit. Who would have to swear and who do I go to to get one? Sorry for the rather convoluted story.

You may go to a high street solicitor and ask them to draft you a statutory declaration, also known as an affidavit, whereby you state where and when you were born and a statement explaining that your birth certificate was lost and a replacement cannot be found.

The solicitor will also commission the affidavit for you.

You may shop around for a solicitor who is able to assist you in the event you find one who is not able to. However, this is a simple matter that can be dealt with for less than £100 as the main cost is drawing up the affidavit, commissioning costs £5.

Can I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you