How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I lost my driving licence approx 30 years ago ( drink driving)

Customer Question

I lost my driving licence approx 30 years ago ( drink driving) period of suspension was 5 years, I was ordered to pay a £200 fine which I never did. How do I go about regaining my license?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Was it a full licence? Have you re-applied with DVLA?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
I think your starting point has to be to apply for a full driving licence with DVLA.

So long as your name and date of birth have not changed they should be able to find you on their database.

My only concern is that with this being so old, they might not be able to trace your original details in which case you will have to retake your driving test (theory and practical).

My other concern is that because you were convicted of a drink drive offence they may want medical evidence from your GP to say that you do not have any medical problems e.g. with alcohol.

But until you make an application you will not know where you stand so that is your starting point.