How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71030
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a neighbour who unfortunately (for me) works in

Customer Question

I have a nasty neighbour who unfortunately (for me) works in my local supermarket and I think she is spreading rumours about me as when I go in the shop they whisper comments and stare! This has been going on for a long time now and this neighbour also makes comments about me to her visiting relatives which I have overheard and they throw the cigarette ends on to my patio which has angered me! I have tried to ignore it all but the cigarette ends being thrown onto our garden is the last straw! My partner is angry about the cigarette ends but does not believe me about the gossip as she is always polite and charming with him! I have thought of suing her for slander and harassment but my friend said I have to be able to prove it? please advise
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am thinking of sending her a solicitors letter but do I need to be able to prove she is spreading rumours about me as I know she will only deny it
and then what do I do?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have I got a case for slander and harassment or do I have to have more proof? The neighbour will only deny it if I confront her! Please advise.
Thank you

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Will any of the people to whom she has been talking go to court and give evidence for you?

Also, can you fund a defamation action? It will cost between £10k - £25k if she contests it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont think any of the people to whom she has been talking will give evidence for me as - A. they dont want to be involved and - B. they have to work with her so I will just continue to try to rise above it! Also it is going to be very expensive if she does contest it! Thank you for your advice and I just hope that my partner will overhear her comments eventually

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

You may well have a case against her in principle. It depends what she is saying exactly.

However, you do have to prove it. Not to the criminal standard but only to the civil. That is not a high standard but you are going to need to get some evidence that she has been defaming you.

Also, you will need to bear the cost of a defamation action and that will be expensive.

I wouldn't immediatley leap to defamation. You could always get a solicitor to write to this person warning him to desist. That would cost about £100 plus VAT.

Or you could consider suing in harassment. You still have the same problems with proving this but it is cheaper.

Can I clarify anything for you?