How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

A guy I have met a few times promised to get me a job with

This answer was rated:

A guy I have met a few times promised to get me a job with an airline on payment of £5000 and has subsequently vanished after I paid the money into his/someones bank account. I have copies of texts/emails where he says he will return the cash if he couldn't get me the job. I was in contact with this guy in person, phone, facebook until a few months ago but he has now vanished with my £5000. I have photos of him/his contacts from facebook, the bank account number to where I paid the cash, how do I pursue him, is this a criminal or civil offence? I don't not have his address and the phone numbers I have for him do not appear to work any longer.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Have you reported this to the police?

Which part of the UK do you live?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex,


I haven't yet reported to police, I am unsure as to whether criminal or civil issue, I live in London.

Hi Barry

This is a scam and you are sadly the victim of a fraud which is prolific.

All the usual hallmarks are present - huge amount of money, difficulty contacting and empty promises.

You must contact the police immediately and report the matter as a fraud. The sooner you do this the sooner the police will be able to trace the culprit.

The Met Police specialise in these frauds so if you contact your local police station to make a report they will put you in touch with their specialist officers.

Civil action is slow, cumbersome and can wait the outcome of the police investigation which will be speedier.

I suggest you make the report as sooner rather than later and keep all the evidence you have for the police - especially photos from Facebook, telephone numbers and contact details.

If the police catch up with him he will be arrested for fraud. The police may or may not be able to recover all your money but at least can bring this person to justice.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Alex, do you think they Police will be able to get a lead from the bank account number to which I paid the money? I know he lives or is a visitor to London as I have unexpectedly run into him in Central London.


Under various legislation including the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 the police can get in touch with the bank and request information of the account holder and what happened to the funds; this will give them a lead on who may have perpetrated this crime.
Alice H and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you