How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3859
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

Dear Sir/Madame 20yrs ago when my company ceased trading 3

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir/Madame
20yrs ago when my company ceased trading 3 of my creditors had charges put on my property. Since then I have had no communication from them regarding these debts and have tried over the past year to contact them with no success. I have tried their solicitors without success and tried to find the companies but again no success. How can I get these charges removed if I cannot contact the creditors or if they do not they are no longer trading.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

Are these charging orders or are they legal charge documents you signed and agreed to?

How much do you owe?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


They are legal charging documents I signed and agreed to as at the time my property was in negative equity

Total amount owed on charges £14,000 approx

Thanks Stephen


Thank you.

Has there been any demand for the £14,000? Does the legal charge say specifcially it charges £14k or are the charges for "all monies"?

Kind regards


If you look at S.20 of the Limitation Act 1980, it is quite clear that the limitation period relative to this is 12 years.

If the creditors have made no demand for the money in the last 12 years then they may be statute barred from claiming at this point.

The best way to deal with this may be just to apply to the Land Registry and see if you can have the charges removed.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you