How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We moved in a property a week ago not knowing that the boiler

This answer was rated:

We moved in a property a week ago not knowing that the boiler was disconnected because the carbon emissions were > 1000 we have tried to call the estate agent maintenance department up to now the problem hasn't been attended to

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : You don't have hot water or heating?
Alex Watts : What type of tenancy agreement do you have please?

Assured shorthold tenancy


Boiler not working therefore no heating and hot water


The landlord knows abt this problem the estate agent is contracted to maintain the property but he seem not to take any action against the estate agent.

Alex Watts : Ok. The landlord is in breach of the landlord and tenant act as it is a term that they provide not water and heating.
Alex Watts : You need to speak with the council - they can prosecute the landlord.
Alex Watts : What is it you want to do, move out or get it fixed?

So what should I do


Tenant legal rightstudies

Alex Watts : Do you want it fixed or moved out?

Have only been in property for a week paid deposit

Alex Watts : D y
Alex Watts : Do you want it fixed or do you want to move out!

Fixed if I decide to move out I loose my deposit

Alex Watts : Ok. Speak to the council tomorrow.
Alex Watts : at
Alex Watts : Then get a number of quotes to get the work done. This forms your loss.

You mean local council

Alex Watts : You need to write to the landlord and set out your losses and request a payment or the boiler fixed within 48 hours or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : Yes local council.

You mean local council

Alex Watts : If they do not fix or refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : Yes your council.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

I have sent emails to the estate agent

Alex Watts : Please read the above,
Alex Watts : Not emails, but a letter sent recorded delivery.

The landlord is saying he contracted the estate agent

Alex Watts : That is not your problem.
Alex Watts : The landlord needs to sort it out with the agent.
Alex Watts : Do not be fobbed off by the landord,

Ok but the landlord is saying he contracted the estate agent

Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else for you today please?
Alex Watts : That is not your problem.
Alex Watts : Have you read the steps I outlined above please?

Ok will follow yr advice


Who will pay court fees then

Alex Watts : you do but if you win you claim those back from the landlord,
Alex Watts : If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer.
Alex Watts : If the system does not let you, please do say.
Alex Watts : If you need more help please click rely.
Alex Watts : reply

Sorry not at the moment


Sorry I haven't got to much to pay I have to sign out

I have changed format.

Try and rate now if you wish.

If you need more help please click reply.


Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you