How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71051
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi, i came to the uk in Aug 2012, however i started driving

This answer was rated:

Hi, i came to the uk in Aug 2012, however i started driving in Dec 12 using my international license, issued my provisional license, and then on 29th Oct 2013, I was having a planned practical driving test and on that day , a metropolitan police asked me about my license so i showed him, my international license, my national egyptXXXXX XXXXXcense as well as the provisional license, however he said that i was not allowed to drive using my international license, so i asked for court hearing, what is my situation now?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is my legal situtation, as i've known that no matter the validity of my international license, i'm only allowed to use it for 1 yr since my entry to the UK, so how can i cancel the court hearing and ask to pay the penalty

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

are you there?


Have you already refused the fixed penalty? If so, its bad news.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, this was based on the police advise

Thats bad news Im afraid.

If you have refused the fixed penalty and been summonsed then the matter is going to court. There is no way around it. You cannot reclaim the right to pay by fixed penalty. You don't have a right to pay by fixed penalty anyway. It is no more than a method of dealing with minor offences administratively to reduce pressure on courts. Once the offer has been made you can accept it but you didn't here.

The police do not advise. What the officer was suggesting is that if you disagreed then you should refuse the fine and take the matter to court. You did so. Unfortunately there is no way back.

You can always write to them and ask them to consider offering the fixed penalty fine but they probably won't agree because their concern will be that time will run out for them if they do.

If you complete the mitigation forms in a way that makes clear what has happened then you might find the court will deal with you as though you had the fixed penalty in any event.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you help me providing how to contact the court?

Thank you. You have left a negative rating but asked for more information which seems inconsistent. I will be happy to carry on with this if the negative rating was a mistake. I know thats easy to do as I’ve done it myself in other categories.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The reason I'm not satisfied, that i need a complete advise, when u advise writing to the court, apprecaite specifying who and how to contact noting that i'm not a uk citizen as explained and i'm not familiar with the process that's why i'm asking for your help

You don't contact the court and I didn't suggest that you did.

You can write to the traffic office and you must have the address for them because they would have issued the original fixed penalty.

When you receive a court summons you will be sent plea forms. Upon those forms there is space to mitigate.