How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Earlier this year I bought a property for the disabled daughter

Customer Question

Earlier this year I bought a property for the disabled daughter of a friend. The property was immediately registered in her name. I have four questions;Is there any potential tax liability for her or me as a result of the gift?I know IHT will become due should I die within 7 years. Do we need to register the date of purchase with the tax authorities? Can she have a will drawn up to bequeath the property to my daughter should SHE die?Were I to divorce from my wife, could she somehow make a claim for this property?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

To answer your questions:

1) for you, no, other than IHT as you have pointed out. For her, possible CGT should she dispose off the property and it is not her main residence;

2) No, you do not need to register the purchase but if she has a second home, she should elect which one is her main residence within 2 years of this purchase for CGT purposes;

3) yes, she may Will the property to your daughter;

4) she may not make a claim as such against the property but the judge could award you a lesser share of the marital assets and award your wife a bigger share.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks. This is helpful.

CGT I am aware of and am not concerned given there has to be a gain first. It was the loss of the asset itself that us prime concern and you have answered that. Thank you. Paul .
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Please leave feedback