How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

my dad has rented a flat for 15 ywars and singed a tenancy

Customer Question

my dad has rented a flat for 15 ywars and singed a tenancy agreement when he moved in and was told it was a roll on lease he now is being asked by landlord who he knows he has to have a passport or driving licance to prove who he is but he has none of these the landlord say it is new rules if he cannot prove who he is my dad will have to leave flat this cannot be right my dad always paid his rent and is up to date and never missed paying rent
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply. P
Alex Watts : Does he have valid identification at all please?
Alex Watts : Is the landlord asking for this or an agent please?
JACUSTOMER-efn7lx7j- : Landlord
JACUSTOMER-efn7lx7j- : landlord is asking for this he as known him for 15 years.
Alex Watts : Yes, does your dad have any photo ID please?
JACUSTOMER-efn7lx7j- : no nothing at all he entered into an agreement 15 years ago all we need to know is can the landlord do this after 15 years of dad paying the rent on time.
JACUSTOMER-efn7lx7j- : the landlord is saying if he as not got anything he will be asked to leave
Alex Watts :

So your dad has no driving licence or passport at all?

JACUSTOMER-efn7lx7j- : No he ain't got driving licence and never had a passport
JACUSTOMER-efn7lx7j- : Sorry should say as not
Alex Watts :

Thank you.

Alex Watts :

Does he have a tenancy for a minimum term? What type does he have please?

JACUSTOMER-efn7lx7j- : It was a roll on tenancy agreement for 15years and knows landlord .
Alex Watts : What was the original tenancy called please?
JACUSTOMER-efn7lx7j- : It was a roll on lease he had
Alex Watts : But what was the original oNe? Regulated tenancy? Assured shothold tenancy?
JACUSTOMER-efn7lx7j- : Assured
Alex Watts : Ok.
Alex Watts : It's bad news then.
Alex Watts : He is in a periodc tenancy, this can be ended by the landlord by giving 2 months notice.
Alex Watts : The landlord does not need a reason he can just give notice.
Alex Watts : Therefore your dad should try and get photo id
Alex Watts : If he does not then sadly the landlord can give notice that he leaves.
Alex Watts : Therefore to ensure he does not he should get photo Id.
Alex Watts : He should be able to get a generic one from the police at little or no cost.
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: