How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi, My energy supplier sent me an additional exorbitant elec.-bill

Customer Question

My energy supplier sent me an additional exorbitant elec.-bill £5300 for 602 days & 56ooo kWh in arrears after paying their estimate £169 every month (we are just 2 pers in a 3 bed bungalow) I sent them a registered letter 12 Apr 14 requesting investigation and explanation. Instead of a reply I now got a demand from a debt collector. Can you advise a specialist lawyer for such consumer matters in Basingstoke area? I see many listed in internet, but no mention of consumer prot.-matters
I come from Germany and such practices are illegal.
Many thanks for any tip or law office contact
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Do you accept there are arrears?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I expected the final bill should be under £500


I already had ca £3500 of the total demand of ca £5300 taken from my direct debit prior to cancellation. That means they now still demand a balance of £1803


They never adjusted the billing over my tenancy period of ca 22 months

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
There are no lawyers that specialise in utilities companies but there are some civil firms.

What are you hoping they will do? Are you prepared to fund the matter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you name any such civil firms and/or search criteria on the web?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, but I need to know what you want them to do exactly?

What are you asking a civil firm to do ? It might all be impossible and so a waste of money.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


I really wanted advice on how to push Brit-Gas to deal with this unexplained utopic elec.-consumption instead of them passing the bill to a debt-collector.


Well today, after speaking to their complaints-team, they just withdrew the debt-collection-order and will now investigate.

I'll wit the outcome that will take ca 2 weeks




Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

That is great. Glad it worked out.