How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

my daughter has signed a temporary tenancy agreement with basildon

Customer Question

my daughter has signed a temporary tenancy agreement with basildon council, after a spell of five months in a homeless hostel. on attempting to decorate, i become aware there is a serious problem regarding damp in the living room, and the bedroom she is due to share with her 23 month old son. i find the source to be an overflow pipe from the flat above. ,privately owned. insisted on the issue being inspected by a surveyour, given date end of june. a dehunidifier with transister and bucket going full time. the newly lined walls of bedroom is already attempting to fall off. my daughter has not moved in as she is worried for her health [ ashtma} she has stayed with me, but i have sold my home, hence am moving out by june. please advise as council do not want to do anything.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Has she contacted the environmental health section of the council and has she spoken to the council about moving out if the problem is not addressed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she has no other options to move out. since being made homeless by the breakup of her relationship, she has had to claim benefits. I need to know what rights we have under the tenants charter/ human rights act to live in a safe enviroment. As her tenancy is under two weeks old she is being palmed off to different departments. SHE NEEDS TO BE REHOUSED. T he issues with the walls being saturated with water will take time to resolve , as the moter is like paste, hence the issue has been ongoing for some time.

Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

I see you have relisted this. Before an answer there are some questions that need to be asked.

Have you complained to the council or in particular environmental health please?