How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tdlawyer Your Own Question
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1096
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
Type Your Law Question Here...
tdlawyer is online now

When my personal tax allowance increases should my gross salary

This answer was rated:

When my personal tax allowance increases should my gross salary reduce so my net pay stays the same or should I see the increase in my net pay

tdlawyer :

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

tdlawyer :

No, your gross salary will stay the same, so you will see an increase in your net pay.

Customer: The last 3 times my tax code has changed my gross salary has reduced
tdlawyer :

If you get a lower tax code, then it would, but not if you get a higher tax code.

Customer: is this legal
tdlawyer :

Sorry - I was referring to net pay. Basically, you're saying that your employer is pocketing the benefit of tax allowance increases.

tdlawyer :

And if that is the case, as it sounds like, not it's not legal.

tdlawyer :

This would be a breach of your employment contract; a fundamental breach actually.

Customer: 810 to 944 to 1000L in two years but net pay the same
tdlawyer :

Yes, that's wrong.

tdlawyer :

You could demand the backpay be paid by your employer.

tdlawyer :

And if he refuses, you could continue to be employed there and sue him in the county court for the money he has been pocketing at your expense.

Customer: Gross salary has been reduced by over 100 pounds a month to keep my net the same
tdlawyer :

Then that's wrong. That's very bad actually.

tdlawyer :

When did it change, this April?

tdlawyer :

Was your first changed pay at sometime in April or sometime in May?

Customer: I've just remortgaged my house and had to submit payslips etc then noticed that my tax code had changed but take home hadn't whereas my gross pre tax income had reduced , as it had on the two previous tax code changes
tdlawyer :

Then I think this is something you might want to take up with your employer!!

Customer: Oh yes I will , just wanted to be sure I was barking up the right tree
tdlawyer :

:) I think you are, yes!

tdlawyer :

Can I ask whether you're happy with the service this evening?

Customer: Yes thankyou
tdlawyer :

Great - is there anything else you would like me to answer for you?

Customer: Can I have a job if he makes me redundant or sacks me
tdlawyer :

:) If he does make you redundant or sacks you, then you've been there for two years or more, in which case, you can claim unfair dismissal against him.

Customer: Been there 10 years
tdlawyer :

Then I reckon you'd have a good claim for unfair dismissal if he did sack you. I think it's disgusting that he should try to manipulate the tax allowance increase like this in his favour (if, of course, he has).

Customer: not had a pay rise in 4 years just tax code changes
tdlawyer :

Well, unless your contract says so, you're not automatically entitled to a pay rise. If it's just you though, that's not receiving a rise, whereas others are, then you need to ask why, and you might have a claim there.

Customer: I have all my payslips which show a reduction in gross pay when the code changes. I'm the only employee and don't have a contract
tdlawyer :

Are you the only one without a pay rise?

Customer: According to my employer turnover and profit are down but his nest is still being feathered which I totally understand when you run your own business , I just feel I'm being treated unfairly
tdlawyer :

Yes, do you know why that might be the case?

Customer: No idea nothings changed I ten years re work rate etc
tdlawyer :

Strange ... Okay. So you know you can approach your employer about this now and that's something you might want to consider doing.

tdlawyer :

It might be time to look for another role though!

Customer: I'm doin both , just wanted to be clear on the tax code thing before I broach the subject and upset the apple cart
Customer: Thankyou for your help
tdlawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you