How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71133
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I recently pleaded guilty to an offence as I felt I had no

This answer was rated:

I recently pleaded guilty to an offence as I felt I had no alternative (i.e consequences for family would not have been good to mention one of the reasons). Have I broken the law by pleading guilty to an offence I did not commit?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any need for further details ? I would like to know if it is an offence to plead guilty to a crime that one has been charged with ? As I pleaded guilty I received a custodial sentence which has now expired. I do not wish to take this further but I would like to know if I can refer to my 'conviction' as somewhat less than accurate?

Well, for instance, did you say anything untrue in mitigation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I was never given any opportunity to say a single word

You can plead guilty to an offence for any reason you like. People plead guilty to offences they say they haven't committed for lots of reasons - for instance, in the course of plea bargains, to get more credit etc.

What you cannot do is make an untrue statement in mitigation because that is misleading the court. You did not do that so there is no offence.

If its just that you've entered a guilty plea to an offence that you don't accept but said nothing untrue in mitigation then that is perfectly lawful.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you