How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We lost the house we was living in a month ago as we own £343

This answer was rated:

We lost the house we was living in a month ago as we own £343 and as it was crown tenant we could apply to set a side. So we went to the council my husband is 59 he is disable he is on a breathing maching and can not climb stairs so has to have a down stairs toilet. I have two special needs great neices live with me 18 who has a mind of a. 9 year old and a 15 who has lots of problems. My 32 year old daughter lives us she is a carer for my second Neice and my husband.i have ostersispos and in quite a lot of pain. The council would help us four years ago so for this time we have been going with out to pay the rent as they said because we need a four bedroom house they can't help so private rent but the rents are so high and benifits don't cover it. A week before we lost the house the 18 year was rape so CID etc all invold and when we went into the council they said they put us in temp but our oldest daughter who helps us can't come.. And it was round the corner from the man who rape who we told them plus they had the URN no but they didn't care. Plus it didn't have a down stairs toilet So my husband couldn't climb the stairs they had all the paper work. We bought a small caravan and put it on a friends farm 1/2 mile from were we was living. Today
the council said we can't go on the list as we have now gone out of the area. They said we now need to go in bed and breakfast. I explain with what Lauren been through plus they can not say if my husband will have a ground floor room I don't know what the law is. They want to waste money on this when we have lived like this without a bathroom or liken for four weeks I thought the councils were hard up for money. Is there any laws for disable people there are three plus I am waiting to hear on my claim.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : I do not quite underatand, you are no longer on the councils housing list please?
Customer: They said because I move half a mile a way I can't stay on list, so I need to go homeless. When we did this a month ago I explain what happen.
Alex Watts : Did you say to them before you moved that you would be?
Customer: Yes
Customer: As they could help us
Alex Watts : Did you move to a different local Aurhority area?
Customer: Could not help us
Customer: Yes but they won't help as we never lived there it was the only place we could put a caravan.
Alex Watts : So the original authority said they would help and now have changed their mind. That was despite the, knowing you moved?
Customer: yes until they said we need four bedrooms and a downstairs loo cause of health problems.
Customer: is there any law for disable people.
Alex Watts : Yes you have the equality act 2010 which says they must not discrmiated.
Alex Watts : You need to write to the chief officer and make a formal complaint.
Alex Watts : This will then be investigated by that office. They will come back to you with a result.
Alex Watts : If you are not happy then you can complain to the local government ombudsman.
Alex Watts : They are independent of the council and can examine your issue for free.
Alex Watts : Their website is
Alex Watts : If they do not uphold your complaint you can complain to the equality commission.
Alex Watts : They can also consider the complaint and review the same with the council.
Alex Watts : They also offer a service for free
Customer: Has the house they offer didn't have a downstairs loo plus they told us to tell our oldest daughter to made her own way but she is bob and the youngest carer
Alex Watts : Their website is
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: Can we say we be better of in a caravan then bed and breakfast I thought the government were trying to save mobey
Customer: Money
Alex Watts : Sadly stock is limited.
Alex Watts : You can't magic up housing stock etc.
Alex Watts : But take the steps I have suggested above.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else?
Customer: We have a caravan that's what we in now
Customer: Also what about were they took notice of my Neice when she was rape and offer the house round the corner
Customer: Took no notice
Alex Watts : Yes indeed.
Alex Watts : This is why you need to take the steps above to get this resolved for you.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you