Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm

Hi Do you have to have the passport and driving license in

Do you have to have the passport and driving license in the same name?

My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The passport is in one name though deed pole 10 years ago. my driving Licence is in another since receiving it. 40 yrs ago.

Never had a problem so I've never really thought about it much.

I have a property management company in one name.

and a mortgage in another which is about to be redeemed on completion.

I have to produce ID for the shareholder who is the director (one Name) and ID for the Leaseholder (the Other name) Could it be a problem? If so I could change the Shareholders and directors name, but this would delay the exchange as we are due to exchange on the 4th of June

If both documents are essential for this transaction then they must both have the same name. I cannot say whether it will be a problem in your current situation - but if two official identification documents have two different names then it may well do. Also as a matter of law if you made a change of name deed ten years ago then from that date your new name should appear on all documents. As soon as you can I suggest you apply to DVLA to change the name on your driving licence.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi sorry for the delayed response,

Ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Expired in November 2013 I am renewing it in my original name. the mortgage is due to be redeemed next month. The management company will be given to the new purchasers. so I can Change the shareholders and director of the company. This means that the exchange will be delayed by 2 weeks, but it will rectify the situation.

Many thanks againt