How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35058
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my daughter ran away from home over 2 weeks ago. Police located

This answer was rated:

my daughter ran away from home over 2 weeks ago. Police located her within hours and said she was safe. Subsequently having spoken to her and listened to her refusal to return home, we gave her clothes to charity and cleared out her room so her sibling could move in. We distroyed any paper work and are trying to move on with our lives as a family.
Today we have received a note through the door from the police requesting her belongings, the things we've got rid of. where do we stand?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Ho wold is your daughter and why did you think you were entitled to dispose of her personal belongings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
she never contacted us until a week later and we were angry as there was no reason for her to leave. The impact of her leaving in such a way was devastating on her sibling who discovered her gone via the bedroom window. Picking up the pieces after her sudden departure was extremely difficult and anger at the time took over and giving her belonging to charity & throwing her belongings away was one of the ways we were trying to deal with things and move on.... not just for us as parents but for the siblings too. We allowed her younger sister to move into her room during the course of the first week as a way of distracting her from her /us from our sorrow and grief there was also limited space, storing her belongings was not an option we didn't feel comfortable and we felt used and abused after 20 years of giving her everything she ups and leaves.
Copy and paste this in.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ani never paid board or rent or paid towards costs of living all we expected of her was to study, get an education, be a good role model for her siblings after all she is 20
Then I am so vert sorry but I have to tell you that you had no right to dispose of her belongings at all and your daughter can sue you for the value of them
Had you given her reasonable notice to collect them and then sold them and given her any proceeds then you would have been safe
I am sorry to have to give you bad news
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Our daughter has not bought anything Herself she hasn't paid for any items which we have given away/destroyed does this make a difference? She also owes us money ie. driving g lessons/car insurance (agreed to pay us bac) are we not in a position to sue her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has no proof as to what was hers she can't produce receipts. We bought a lap top to help with studies this would, like other electrical gadgets be passed onto siblings.
I am afraid that the lack of receipts is not likely to assist since you have disposed of everything and it will be accepted that things that had been given to her for birthdays and other festivals - and clothes etc most certainly DID belong to her - and even the lap top issue is doubtful.
Your only option is to hope that she does not take action - and if she does to counter claim for the money she owes you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do we just tell the police what we've done.... is there anything they can do? They keep calling round? What powers do the police have ? Can they arrest me?
All you can do is tell them you have disposed of the belongings
She may allege theft of the laptop but that remains to be seen
Clare and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you