How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35052
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi My son and his girlfriend recently had a child together,

This answer was rated:


My son and his girlfriend recently had a child together, they were living with us 4-5 days a week and then with her mum for the other couple of days. she had been diagnosed with post natal depression shortly after the birth but has since got over that, I had paid for them both to go away to relax in May taking time off to look after our grandson so that they could go. Upon returning she sent a text saying she needed a break but within 24hrs had posted on Facebook that she was in a relationship with one of her childhood friends ex. This was plastered all over Facebook which cuased a lot of upset to both ourselves, my son and her own family (mother, Nan and sisters) as well as a lot of her friends.

She dissapeared for two days (this Wednesday 28th and Thursday 29th May) and only returned yesterday Friday 30th to be with this other guy, again her mother was upset as she had lied saying she was going to a friends house, there was no contact during the two days to ask how her son was or anything.

We have pictures of her with this other guy and some text messages which concern us as she says she doesn't want to be here and perhaps may do something, although she is very selfish and seeks attention.

We have had a meeting with her mum and close family and was given some peace of mind as her mum assured us tha tOscar our Grandson would be priority.

Our concerns are that she may take Oscar and run off with this guy as she sais her family are against her, they are upset at what she has done, how quick she has gone off and slept with this other guy and now in a relationship all of which she has plastered over Facebook.

we are obviously concerned and my son is now seeking to go for full custody, we would very much like some advice on the best way forward?


Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
For clarity who is the baby now living with and what contact does the mother have with him?
is your son named on the Birth Certificate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Currently he stays with us Thursday through to Sunday and then with his mother the rest of the week although this may change. Yes my son is on the birth certificate.
Are there any concerns about her care of the child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As stated she disappeared for two
Days without knowledge of her mother, I know that her own family won't leave her on her own but they may just be more to
Do with her perhaps running off to stay with the other bloke.

We have a copy of a text message between her and a friend where she states she she won't be around.
Is there any reason to think that she would take the child - or is she likely to leave the child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cannot be 100%, I will leave it there and make an appointment with a solicitor. We appear to be going back n fourth and not sure what imam being charged on here.


All the queries are covered by the payment that you have already agreed - the questions are simply to try and establish the most effective way forward for your son
Unless there is a clear indication that she could well be planning to take the child with her if she goes the starting point is for your son and his ex to discuss, as parents, the future arrangements for the child.
This is best done using Family mediation ( and your son should contact a mediator and ask for an urgent appointment
Your son COULD make an urgent application for a Child Arrangement Order (new name for the orders) and argue that it is an emergency - but in the absence of clear evidence that there is a real risk she will run off WITH the child then there is a risk that the Courts will see your sons actions as oppressive
He can read more here
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you