How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

i signed a loan agreement for my daughter to get a car whilst

This answer was rated:

i signed a loan agreement for my daughter to get a car whilst she was awaiting a divorfce settlement with her agreeing to pay the monthly instalments until this came. it has been an acrimonious divorce and whilst she has been out of work i paid the car. she started work and did put the money in for a little while but 3 months ago she stopped paying and when i asked about it she also stopped speaking to me. there is still about 3 years to pay. although the loan is in my name the caris in her name but through the garage and finance company i can prove that the loan is for the car. is there any way i can take the car from her. thanks for your help

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How much does she owe you please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

£11,000 but settlement now figure is ABOUT £9000

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what is happening please


That is all I need to know. Its bad news I'm afraid.

Unless you specifically agreed reclamation rights at the time that you lent her the money none will exist.

You do have other options. You can always stop paying for the car and then the company will take it back fast enough but it will impact on your credit rating.

You can sue her for the sums that she owes you here

and you will win.

But the two contracts are separate. The fact that she has stopped paying you does not mean the loan is secured up by your rights to reclaim the car unless you agreed it in advance.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanx for your help. it was the reply i expected but i hoped there may be some way. If i sued her what would it cost me?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If fi sue her what would it cost me?

How much does she owe you roughly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.