How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have been renting a property since April 2012, on 15 March

This answer was rated:

I have been renting a property since April 2012, on 15 March this year a major house fire occurred and me and my children have been living in temporary accommodation whilst the repairs have been undertaken. There were some concerns regarding the electrical wiring and the boiler was faulty at the time of the fire. I have had extra costs during this period, such as kennel fees and laundry costs, and I am paying additional rent, can you let me know if I would be able to reclaim some or all of the additional costs from the landlord as the fire appears to have been caused by an electrical fault.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Was the landlord insured please?


Alex Watts : Yes you would be able to claim any additional costs you have Incurred.
Alex Watts : And you can claim any extra rent you have to pay. Ie if current rent is £500 a month and the new one is £600 a month you can claim back the additional £100 a month.
Alex Watts : So yes you can claim the costs.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

How would I go about claiming this back from the landlord?

Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you