How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Recently, my ex partner brought a charge of harassment against

This answer was rated:

Recently, my ex partner brought a charge of harassment against me, to which, I unfortunately had to plead guilty. The magistrates fined me £100 . I have my house insurance with Lloyds, on the back of their renewal form is a series of " have you" etc. To a question have you a criminal record? To which I replied Yes .
Inconsequence of this, they increased my insurance premium by 50% and charged me an additional £150. I was given no opportunity to discuss this with any one.
I feel I am being discriminated against. Are they legally able to try me again, without a hearing and pass sentence, ?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Are you asking if it is legal for your insurance company to put your premium up please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I would like to know if it is legal for the insurance company to do this?

Unfortunately, the insurance company are at liberty to charge any premium they like, to load any risk as they wish and to refuse any risk.
This is not discrimination in any of the accepted categories such as sex, religion etc and therefore is not actionable in law.
However you have a criminal record for harassment not for anything that would affect any insurance risk.
Assuming that you have complained to the insurance company and pointed out to them that this is nothing whatsoever to do with insurance then you would have no alternative but to make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman who will look at the situation and decide whether the insurance company is acting reasonably.
I think you have no better than a 50-50 chance that the Ombudsman would uphold your complaint and advised the insurer to take on the risk at the standard premium.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you