How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My Wife and I moved into a new house on September 20th 2013,

This answer was rated:

My Wife and I moved into a new house on September 20th 2013, Initially we did not notice any problems, but in December we started noticing water pooling near the front door. Assuming this was coming in from outside, we left it in the hopes the warmer weather would bring an end to it, and we could replace the door seals to solve this issue. But water appearing was still an issue after the spring. so we believe that the water is in fact coming from the adjacent shower room that the previous owner had installed into the small extension that is on the front of the property.

I have spoken to my Insurance company, but i feel that they are not going to process my claim, as the damage was most likely in situ prior to my policy stating with them.

I was wondering if i could go to the previous tenant, and ask them to cover the costs of the repair on their old policy with the property?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What is the cost of the repair please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not yet had an estimate with a builder, as I am not 100% sure where the water is coming from, only that it is definitely not coming in from under the front door.

I am not sure why you ask whether you could go to the previous tenant and ask them to cover the cost of your repair on their old policy if it is a new property that you say you moved into on September 20, 2013. When you say you moved into a new house I think you mean that you moved into another house rather than a brand-new one.

Regardless, when you buy a property you buy it warts and all and that means that you buy it with this problem and it is for you to resolve.

The first thing that you are going to have to do is ascertain exactly where this water is coming from. Once you know exactly where it's coming from you will know how much it's going to cost to fix and you will also then know whether it is damage which is insured or damage which is not insured.

If it is damage which is insured and the insurance company will not pay out you are going to have to refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman because they are still responsible for damage that could not be seen on a reasonable inspection. They may be able to refer the matter back to the previous insurer but that is something for them to concern themselves with.

Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you